Friday 1 February 2013

David Shrigley


The artist who made this piece of work is David Shrigley, he is aged 44 and studied at glasgow school of art. He was born in scotland but did a art and design foundation in Lester, he had his first exhibition in a gallery called transmission gallery in glasgow where he was born.His last exhibition was in the hayward gallery in london which I did go and see on a school trip.The piece of work that I am looking at by David Shrigley is called Cat and Mouse. The work is done by the technique of line drawing, which is basic drawing lines, the piece is for an exhibition and was made in 2011 but exhibited in 2012. I have chosen to do this piece of work for the analysis because I find the work funny but yet dark in some sense. I also picked it because I find that my work can be related to his in some shape or form, and since I also use the same materials to create works I find it easier to look at the work.
The work when i went to see it was landscape and put up on a wall with a lot other drawings done by the artist, in a way its like all the works came together to make up one piece of work. The work has a theme which would be dark humour and illustration which is very my type of work. The work Is about a subject as cats and dogs have been in the publics eye natal enemies but here David Shrigley is saying they have finally made peace. The title really does explain the work because some people may think that the cat is another animal but with the title you can clearly see what animal he is trying to get across. Their is no real deep meaning behind this work he has just gone with a simple funny type of work and works very well.
The work was done by pen and paper very simple stuff.The skills are basically to use humour in the work with only a little bit of drawing skills only basic line drawings, the artist use's colour by not using any colour at all which gives the work space and meaning.With this it creates the effect of it being a dark and meaning full piece of work.The work is in between A4 and A5 so basically like a christmas card shape and in away it does make the work better as it says its not a massive problem but it is a big enough problem to put it up in a exhibition.
My first reaction to this piece was that it was a funny piece and had some meaning behind it and made me want to research it more.I like the humour behind it, the only thing that could be better is the drawing skills but then again that makes davids work better as you, the only thing that reminds me of this work is David Shrigleys own work which is really good as you will know his work anywhere. Finally I think david shrigley is one of the most inspiring people in the terms of my work, and I this may be one of my favioute piece's by him.

No comments:

Post a Comment